Had this for dinner tonight and I am a very, very happy camper. This recipe is from Mark Bittman's Food Matters cookbook (see the Really Good Resources link above).
Pasta with Smoky Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Pancetta
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 bacon slices or 4 ounces of pancetta, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons pimenton (smoked paprika)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces any cut whole-wheat pasta (I used fusilli)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (didn't use)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (didn't use)
Heat the oven to 400. Put the sweet potatoes, pancetta and oil in a large roasting pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss. Roast, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, dust with the paprika, add the onion to the pan, stir and continue roasting for another 15 minutes.
Cook pasta in boiling, salted water. Drain and reserve some of the cooking water. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and stir in a bout 1/2 cup of the cooking water, scraping up any browned bits. Add pasta, chives and cheese to the pan and toss to combine. Serve hot or at room temperature.